Wednesday, April 10, 2013

survivorship: 1 year!

You know, I've never asked my doctor what he measures survivorship by. Is it when the cancer was physically removed from my body during my mastectomy? Or when I finished chemo exactly one year ago? I like to go by when I was completely FINISHED with all things treatment related. So I'm basing my survivorship on when I finished chemo a year ago.

So what has happened in the past year? A lot of soul searching. A lot of re-building. A lot of praying. A lot of helping others. I have dedicated myself to reaching out to other young women who have been diagnosed. I've made it my mission to make sure they know they are not alone, and that they will be JUST FINE. To me, that is the most important part of my life now: God using me as a faithful servant to serve others in need. During my treatment I witnessed the love of Jesus in real-life through the women that helped me through. So it is my honor to do the same for other women now.

Living life as a survivor is a delicate and confusing journey. There are so many things that should be "normal" again that unfortunately are not. Learning to step outside my comfort zone and work on my insecurities has been a huge challenge. But with the love & support of friends, and through much prayer, I've successfully gotten to this point by the gift of troubled grace.

Along with a lot of spiritual growth has come the exciting growth of my hair. Guess who has a cute, new (& normal) haircut now?! I could not be any happier with my new 'do!  
"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.”
  Deuteronomy 31:6

4 comments:

  1. You are a survivor through and through no matter when you choose to call it out. But you got me thinking...what do most do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your hair! Congratulations on the one year survivorship :) mine's coming up in July.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my blog! It's nice to meet another young survivor. BIG congrats on the 1 year cancer free anniversary. And your hair looks seriously cute! I can't wait for my hair to look that good in a year from now.

    ReplyDelete