Wow. I seriously cannot believe it has been a year since I shaved my head. It feels so long ago, but it also feels just like yesterday. Time is such a tease like that!
Unfortunately (& fortunately) this is the one and ONLY reminder that I had cancer. Most days that word doesn't even enter into my mind anymore-- hallelujah! But when I walk past a mirror and I catch sight of this short hair, it's a glaring reminder that yes, you did have cancer. You lost your hair, you were bald. I hate that it's a constant reminder, but I'm getting better about accepting it.
I just wanted to say thank you, from the bottom of my heart, to everyone who has complimented my short hair over the past year. It has meant SO much to me, and you'll never quite understand what it's done for my psyche. I've literally had to rebuild my self confidence back from the ground up-- something that has been so foreign and painful for me. This hair growth journey has taught me patience and humility in the most extreme ways possible. I've said it before and I'll say it again: losing my hair was way worse that undergoing a double mastectomy. That was hidden and can be concealed. Hair is such an outward sign of who you are; public for everyone to see at all times. I know people say it shouldn't "define" you, but to me, it really has.
So here's to 10 months of growth (it didn't start growing back until I finished chemo in April). Here's to funky hairstyles, faux hawks, and fun hair products. Here's to many more months & years of growth to come!
And just for laughs-- I found a picture of my new hair meme. Until now I used to think it was a Justin Bieber style, but I'm happy to report I'm feeling more like Carol Brady everyday ;)


Amazing Blog! :)
ReplyDelete