I started thinking about the inevitable -- shaving my head. I knew it was coming and I'd simply have to decide when. Then I started thinking about being bald, and the fact that even as a newborn baby, I was NEVER bald. I came out with a full head of hair, and have never looked back since. I've never known anything but lots of hair!
hours old as a newborn
2nd grade
6th grade
my wedding day
mommy Anne
Even though it was against everything I've ever know, a few days after my first chemo, I had my hair stylist cut my hair. She chopped off a good 6 inches or so! We did this in anticipation of my impending hair loss and I'm so glad we did. It definitely made things a lot easier (& less messy) when it finally did start coming out.I actually kind of loved this short & sassy look! So sad that it was so short-lived.
Tonight I decided I'd had enough of the shedding and my dear friend Christy agreed to shave my head. It was time. I still can't believe that I have no hair; I don't think I look like the same person at all -- in fact I feel pretty ugly. I already miss my hair so much.
I can't believe I'm actually posting this picture for the entire world to see, but in a way it's liberating. So here I am, in all my bald glory:
yep, my dear hubby shaved his too!
I'm not a huge fan of the baldness, so this will probably be the only picture ever I take of it! I can't wait to wear my new wigs and feel/look somewhat "normal" again. I also can't wait for about a year from now, when I can embrace my beautiful, long locks again!
To quote the amazing Ashley of Lil Blue Boo:
"I've let go of fear and anxiety ... now I can let go of vanity"








This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteLove you Anne! You look beautiful! (not sure why my comment posted twice)
ReplyDeleteYou look amazing! It takes a very beautiful face to make a bald head look feminine-- and you have exactly that! Remember Demi Moore in G.I.Jane? She looked super sexy with no hair, and I think you look fabulous as well! You're in my prayers constantly! Your strength is so inspiring :)
ReplyDeleteYou look AMAZING! VERY proud of you and have been thinking of you lately.
ReplyDeleteHey ... think how much time you will save washing your ... ahh.... head ... and ... No blow dryers, curling irons, hot curlers, flat irons, hair colorings.....this sounding better and better ... X
ReplyDeleteYou are ABSOLUTELY beautiful! You were before, and you are now, and you will be when your hair grows back!
ReplyDeleteI'm with Christy...for the time being you will probably love all the time you can save not having to fix it! Can't wait to hear the names of your wigs! :) You continue to take one step at a time through all of these events and I think you are doing amazing with everything that has been thrown at you!
ReplyDeleteYou are the most beautiful woman I've ever seen, Anne. And a perfectly shaped head to boot!
ReplyDeleteYou look fantastic!
ReplyDeleteYou are such an example of strength!!!! You are the definition of beautiful!!!!!!!!!! Fight on like a girl!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeletedeb
:) Nope- you look amazing bald. And I'm not just shooting rainbows at you- seriously ;)
ReplyDeleteI am truly proud of you. All the risks you have taken over the past few months shows you are a true survivor. And you're showing Claire how to Fight Like A Girl! I love you girl and just know you truly are a beauty. Don't be ashamed of what you look like.
ReplyDeleteYou look beautiful no matter what! Be sure to sunscreen that baby when you go out!!! ;)
ReplyDeleteBeautiful Anne!
ReplyDeleteDear Anne! I was just given your blog address by a mutual dear friend, Michelle Cain. I went through chemo and hair loss when I was 38 years old, and I know it is hard, but do not lose faith! I learned to enjoy hats/bandanas, etc., and I was blessed with new and improved hair after the treatments were over! You are a beautiful young woman and you will totally rock the wigs, the bandanas and the bald head too! This is just a season in your life, and it will pass quickly! I will keep you in my prayers as you go through your journey! May God bless you and your family:))
ReplyDeleteYou look beautiful Anne!!!
ReplyDeleteI think you look gorgeous!! You have the perfect petite face to rock a super short do! You are making me want to cut mine off again!
ReplyDeleteAnne, You look awesome! I'd say you were brave to post, but it doesn't take bravery to post a pic of you looking so beautiful! ;) Beautiful inside and out - and think of how rockin' the summer will be! And your DH... what a Sweetie. So cute.
ReplyDeleteJenna
I think u look amazing and stunning and beautiful.
ReplyDeleteYou look like a beautiful warrior!
ReplyDeleteCuriosity is killing me. What does Claire have to say?
ReplyDeleteDear Anne,
ReplyDeleteI admire you for your beauty and courage.
Keep on fighting!
Laura
I think you look beautiful!
ReplyDeleteYou are beautiful!
ReplyDeleteYou are beautiful and inspiring! I love that last quote that you posted. I am praying for you through this whole ordeal!
ReplyDeleteI think you look strong and ready to kick cancer's butt! I walked in a 3-day breast cancer walk last summer and saw lots of bald heads - and lots of neat scarves. I hope if I am ever in the same situation that I will handle it with your same grace and strength. Best of luck to you.
ReplyDeleteOh, and keep reading Ashley's blog - she is amazing.
Suzie
And look how hot you look with the faux-hawk in your baby pic
ReplyDeleteThis time will be short lived... and you will forget what you look like bald. You will be able to share this pic with your little girl someday and she will begin to understand what a strong and awesome momma she has!
ReplyDeleteJamie
Wow, girl u are an amazing inspiration! Be strong and just know u are beautiful in every way!(w/o hair)!!!!! Keep ur boxing gloves on:)
ReplyDeleteLove Leslie
BHFW!
Anne, you ARE beautiful inside and out... and very strong too. So proud of you...
ReplyDeleteBeautiful as ever!! ;)
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI have NO idea why my comment posted 4 times from my phone!
ReplyDelete