Here is what we know now, and what direction we're going in ...
The "good" news is that my tumor is one of the least aggressive types. This was the best possible scenario for us to hear and gives us a lot of hope/comfort. My oncologist even gave me a smiley face on the notes he was writing down for us -- saying I have good tumor biology. Who knew?! He explained that most young women diagnosed with breast cancer have a very aggressive tumor. For once, I am relieved to be the medical anomaly!
Type : Invasive Ductal Carcinoma -- means the cancer cells inside of a milk duct has broken out and spread to nearby tissues. 50-75% of breast cancer patients are diagnosed with ductal carcinoma, so I have the most common type.
Grade: Mine is a grade 2 out of 3. "intermediate". Tumor grade relates to the structure of the cells and is different from tumor stage. In general, the more the cancer cells look like normal breast cells, the lower the grade and the better the prognosis.
Stage: They do not know this yet and won't know until surgery. It goes along with how far it's spread, if it's in the lymph nodes or not. At this point, my doctors do not have a reason to believe it's in the lymph nodes or spreading.
Ultimately the final outcome will be a double mastectomy with reconstruction. Only 5% of breast cancer patients are under the age of 40; being under 30 makes the risk of recurrence unknown. Reducing future risk by having the radical surgery will help ensure I get to live a long life. Surgery will sometime in the next few weeks. I will then begin chemo a few weeks after surgery. We are not sure on the specific chemo plan yet, but they suggested an aggressive treatment because I am so young; most likely 4 months or so.How are we doing with all this? Once the initial shock subsided, we have found comfort & peace in having a plan. We know that God is walking with us the entire way; He's in control and He'll keep us safe. We firmly believe we'll come out on the other side of this as better disciples of His love. I refuse to let this diagnosis define me; it is not who I am, it is something I'm going through and will overcome!
So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Isaiah 41:10
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Isaiah 41:10
Love you, sweet friend! Your courage and faith is such an inspiration. We are fighting with you!!
ReplyDeleteYou are so strong, Anne. I love how you said, "I refuse to let this diagnosis define me; it is not who I am, it is something I'm going through and will overcome!" You got that right, girl!! My thoughts and prayers will be with you, Andy, and Claire!
ReplyDeleteAnne, something you haven't mentioned but I have wondered is how you found out? Did you feel a lump, or how did you know something wasn't right? If you don't want to share that, I completely understand, I just found myself wondering.
ReplyDeleteI've been thinking of you since you broke the news. Prayers for your and your family!
You are so strong Anne, and I know that with your faith, family and friends that you will persevere. We are all here for you on this long road, and I, for one, am amazed by your beautiful strength and courage.
ReplyDeleteAnne:
ReplyDeleteI work with your Mom. We're all sending warm thoughts and prayers your way and will hold you and your family in our hearts as you move forward on your journey.
You've been in my daily prayers my sweet friend. YOU WILL FIGHT THIS! Love you!
ReplyDeleteHi Anne, the title of your blog caught my eye from another blog I read. I am 32, and was diagnosed with breast cancer at 27. Mine was invasive and a stage 2 due to it's size, but thankfully was not in my nodes. I chose to have a lumpectomy then had 18 weeks of chemo and 6.5 weeks of radiation, and I am starting my fifth year on Tamoxifen. I think you are making a wise decision with the double mastectomy. I chose to only have the lumpectomy because I was getting married 7 months later and already had my dress. Didn't want anything to get "off schedule". Now I plan to have an elected double mastectomy when I finish tamoxifen. In between my lumpectomy and chemo, my fiancee (now hubbie) and I went through IVF and froze 3 embryos. Two and a half years later, one of my best friends volunteered to be my surrogate. I now have 19 month old b/g twins. They are the light of my life, and had I not had breast cancer, I would not have the daughter I have, and the son I have. I am probably your first random email from a stranger, but it's nice to "see" someone who has a similar story. Like you said, the number of women diagnosed with breast cancer under 30 is pretty small. Anyway, please don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions, or just want to vent about things...I've been there! Take care, and remember everything really does happen for a reason. :)
ReplyDelete