Let's just get the bad news out of the way first, because I want to get it out and not dwell on it. When I was diagnosed, my breast doctor gave me the genetic tests for the BRCA1&2 mutations. These are the highly genetic mutations that are linked to breast and ovarian cancers. Unfortunately I am positive for the BRCA2 gene. What does this mean? First & foremost it solidifies my decision to have a bilateral mastectomy. That ensures that my possible reoccurrence will be as low as possible. I feel even better about making that decision now. In addition, I am now also at a higher risk for ovarian cancer and can choose to have a surgery to have my ovaries removed in a few years. Unfortunately now my daughter has a 50% chance of having this gene as well; she will need to be closely monitored & checked when she is of childbearing age. As much of a downer as it is, I'm glad that we know about this and she will be monitored.
Ok, so on to the good news!
- My MRI was clear -- they did not see any other masses in either breast. Whew.
- I met with my plastic surgeon and I really like HER. I'm glad she is a woman and will be handling my reconstruction. Don't get me wrong - I love my male doctors but I'm glad someone who understands a woman's body will be handling such a delicate task!
- I finally got my surgery scheduled; it will be Dec 28. It is later than we originally thought, but it is because my plastic surgeon and breast surgeon are having to work out their separate schedules to accomdate me and operate at the same time. I'll have the mastectomy & reconstruction done all in 1 surgery.
*The best news out of all of this is that they will be able to test my eggs for the BRCA2 gene and they will NOT use any eggs that have it! Praise the Lord!
"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters,whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." James 1:2-4
*This verse will forever remind me of Eric Schmidt, who I know is cheering me on from Heaven.
My heart swells with the good news, and my prayers soar for your sorrows. I'm so happy that your dreams aren't going to be stopped by this disease. Your attitude amazes me. You WILL triumph!
ReplyDeleteWhile the bad news stinks, the good news is very good! I am SO happy that you have such amazing doctors to walk you through this process. And the fertility clinic! That is such an amazing blessing! I marked the 28th on my google calendar...know we'll be praying for you!
ReplyDeleteWow Anne that is pretty amazing that the clinic offers that for free! What a relief. That is so wonderful that they can do the reconstruction in the same surgery, I wondered how that would work. I will continue to be thinking of you throughout this journey.
ReplyDeleteSteph
sounds like more good news than bad news. :) hooray for modern medicine! & for only ONE surgery. Sending you hugs...& lots of egg growing dust!
ReplyDeleteThe power of prayer is amazing!! Thank you for the update.
ReplyDeleteWOW technology is amazing Anne and so are you! Always thinking of you love!
ReplyDeleteso inspired by your attitude... LOVE all the good news in the midst of the bad. We'll mark the 28th down to be praying for you and your surgeons and assume we can hop on the meal train for the time following. Praying for lots and lots of healthy eggs to harvest soon :) (btw, if the clinic doesn't cover storage, Tricare does for the 1st year... At least they did for us when Danny banked).
ReplyDeleteThanks so much for the update, Anne. Your positive attitude is truly inspiring. We will continue to pray for you each and every day!
ReplyDeletethis is totally incredible and awesome. hooray for beautiful, new, cancer-free boobies! and double hooray for eggs! and kids! and does this mean you won't have a period for 5 years? that would equal a triple yay!
ReplyDeleteGreat news... on the egg freezing. I wish that had been in place for us. I had to have a complete hysterectomy at 29, but at least we wiukd if had options.
ReplyDeleteYou are such an inspiration. Your faith and perseverance will be rewarded!
love ya!
Robyn
Anne, I am so sorry to hear about everything you are going through. You are such a strong woman, and yes, like you said, you will get through it. I'm so happy to hear you will be able to freeze your eggs, that is GREAT news. You and your family will be in my prayers. God Bless.
ReplyDeleteAshley Aylsworth
I am so happy to hear about the fertility rescue! That is wonderful!! I am also so happy to see that your spirits are high and you are making the very best out of this situation. God will bless you without a doubt. Continue pushing through, this time will be over before you know it! Still praying for you all the time! *LITB*
ReplyDeleteEmily shared your blog with me and I am SO very glad she did. You are an amazing woman with a "can do" spirit! Emily's family in SC is on your prayer team and always available to you. Consider it joy....AMEN.
ReplyDeleteCharleen Smith