Monday, October 8, 2012

pinked out

I have a confession to make. When I was first diagnosed and my friends were trying to be supportive and gift me with breast cancer books, shirts, and other paraphernalia-- I was overwhelmed and annoyed. It got to the point where I didn't want to see ANYTHING pink anymore because it made me sick to my stomach. The truth is I was in complete denial. I didn't want anything to do with pink because I couldn't believe or accept that I was now part of this pinkness.

Funny how my emotions completely changed over such a short time. Since coming out on the other side of this battle, I could not be more proud to wear pink. I sport my pink t-shirts to the gym, to Starbucks, to the grocery store, anywhere people will notice it. I even bought a pair of adorable pink stiletto pumps last week.  

I want everyone to know that I'm proud to have fought this battle and to keep fighting it in honor of those who cannot fight anymore. Life has become more meaningful now since learning to embrace pink and all that it represents.

While this is Breast Cancer Awareness month, I want everyone to know that the awareness spans more than just these 31 days of October. Even though the stores are all selling adorable pink products, I'm not going to get into the debate here about where funding goes or how much of it is actually put towards research. A lot of the money raised in the name of breast cancer is NOT used towards prevention or research; most of the funds are spent on more awareness and marketing campaigns.  So if you don't feel comfortable buying pink but still want to support the cause free-of-charge, then I encourage you to sign up for the Health Of Women study by Dr. Susan Love. I've been a part of this research organization since before I was diagnosed and their studies are legitimate and groundbreaking. This new study is all-encompassing and all it requires of you is to sign up and provide [secure] information about you & your health. 

"The HOW Study is a first-of-its-kind international online study for women and men with and without a history of breast cancer.  We will collect information about your health, your job, your diet, and your family history, among other topics that can help us get a better understanding of breast cancer and its potential causes.  Periodically, we will send you questionnaires about anything and everything. All you have to do is fill them out online. It’s that simple. This is a partnership and we need you for the long haul. The more questionnaires you fill out, the more information we will have that can help us have a better understanding of why women get breast cancer"

If you've always wanted to do something to contribute but weren't sure what to do, this is your opportunity. And who knows, you may help save your own life, or that of someone you love. We all have to work together to help to end this horrible disease. 

No comments:

Post a Comment